New Delhi, March 17: This year Navratri is slated to begin from March 18. Everyone looks forward to the nine days festival and love to observe fast to purify their spirit and body. During these nine days many households all over India shun various food items in their kitchen including garlic, onion, non vegetarian, pulses, table salt, spices whole grains, vegetables etc. One can consume milk and other dairy products during the nine days of festivities. There are various types of vrat dishes that one can enjoy during these special days.
Here we give a list of some of the healthy foods that you can relish during these 9 days of Navratri:
1) Arbi fry: Arbi fry is another delicious items that you can cook. It is made of spiced colocasia or taro roots fry which is highly popular during the Navratri festival. Minimum in spices and rich in nutrients, Arbi serves as a good food to rejuvenate your body with energy. Taro root contains a very significant amount of dietary fiber and carbohydrates, as well as high levels of vitamin A, C, E, B6, and folate.
2) Vrat wali kadhi: Kadi is relished by one and all during all season for its unique taste and awesome flavour. It can be a substitute for plain dal and can be added with pakodas to add to flavour to it. Rajgira kadhi is good for fasting as it’s easy to digest. Dahi (curd) is amazing to eat and considered to be a great appetizer and helps in digestion because of good bacteria in Dahi.
3) Sweet potato tikki: You will just love sweet potato tikki while fasting for Navratri. Sweet potato tikki can be perfect for your taste buds as well since you are not eating many a things that you crave for everyday. Sweet potatoes can provide you powerful nutritional punch as they have over 400% of your daily needs for vitamin A in one medium spud.
4) Makhana namkeen: Makhana namkeen recipe is considered to be very healthy and tasty for navratri fasting. It is a healthy snack recipe made by roasting phool makhana with nuts and dry fruits. With natural sugars and fiber, zero cholesterol and fats, and a variety of delectable flavors, dry fruits and nuts are an easy source of all essential nutrients that give you the required energy during fasting.
5) Sabudana Khichdi: This food is packed with plenty of carbohydrates. Sabudana khichdi can provide you the much needed energy boost while you are observing fast. Sabudana khichdi is made with sabudana, peanuts and mild spices. Sometimes groundnut is also added to add beauty to its taste. Rich in its nutritious content, Sabudana Khichdi serves as a sumptuous meal during fasting.