New Delhi, Feb 13: Mahashivratri is one of the most pious and revered festivals in India which is celebrated with equal fervor and devotion all across the world. There are certain dos and don't of this festival and one must observe this. Though Lord Shiva is considered as a Lord who has a large heart, but then his wrath and dance of destruction is also well-known. Here are the 10 things one should never do on a Shivratri:
1. Never perform your Puja wearing a black dress. The Lord despises this colour.
2. Never offer ketaki or Pandanus odorifer - Kewda flower to Lord Shiva. The Lord has cursed this flower.
3. Don't consume the prasad offered on the Shivalinga. This brings ill-fate and disease.
4. The bel patra or wood apple leaf offered to the Lord should be a complete set of three leaves, signifying Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh.
5. Don't offer Tulsi or basil leaves to SHiva. Ths is just for Lord Vishnu.
6. Also don't offer turmeric or haldi to the Lord
7. Do not insult your partner, elderlies or a poor on this day.
8. Do not offer broken rice grain to Lord Shiva. The grain of the rice should be whole.
9. Do not consume cereal and grain on this day, just have fruits and milk.
10. Also do not offer Plumeria or Champa flower on Lord Shiva.
Devotees celebrate this festival by various ways: some meditate and do Yoga while others chant mantras and observe fast. There are many legends around this festival, celebrated with great devotion by Hindus all across the world. One legend goes that his day Lord Shiva drank all poison and savd the world. Therefore, he is called Neelkantha. o protect the world.
Another legend says that it is the night when Shiva performs the heavenly dance of creation, preservation and destruction.
Yet another belief goes that this is the night when Shiva and Parvati got married.