The world of Internet has made things a lot convenient for us, we feel invincible with internet connectivity. Few clicks and what we can do is limitless. Today there is so much at our disposal online that we feel invincible when connected. If we stop and think for a moment; all this power in our hands just cannot be without any downside, but have we even given that a though?
Well majority of us don’t bother to weigh the other side of the scale, we will take you through all these aspects of internet in coming few days, keep a keen eye on this segment. It could very well change the course of your daily actions online. For better understanding we will show you the world of internet through the eye of a Claimed Cyber Security Expert.
To run a basic S.W.O.T analysis lets point out on the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats of your presence in the online world. The most basic Strength that empower you is you knowledge and awareness to accesses your actions. Weaknesses include lucrative posts, lack of proper knowledge, forming predictable search patterns leading to a structured algorithms making mapping easier misleading information that make you more vulnerable online and biggest weakness is the urge to share everything online or considering yourself safe. Opportunities comprise of proper technical knowledge which should be constantly updated, realise the fact that hackers are always many steps ahead of you so always safeguard your interests online, Hacking conferences, learning the differences between ethical hacking and unethical hacking. Threats are many to point out few- Unethical Hackers, non-government/government vigilance agencies, cookie based ad networks, open end software’s, connectivity on unsecure networks and the use of one device for all purposes.
Today we’ll cover what all information is at risk online according to Mr. Cyber Security Expert
1) Images with our faces online, they lead to identity thefts. Example fake identity cards.
- 2) Uploading images online, Images are geo tagged and such information can be easily accessed to stalk a user online. This poses a major threat to young girls and women in our society.
- 3) GPS permissions- If we have given permission to certain apps to access our location which they say is for better utility, results in monitoring of a person’s location. In use via laptops, Android powered devices and even Apple devices.
- 4) Camera and Microphone permissions- All smartphones and laptops are equipped with a camera/ webcam, we give camera permissions to many apps or even viruses can access our camera. This is one risky affair in today’s time where we all like taking our smartphone to bathroom. With access to the camera a layman having bath to indulging in any private affair is exposed to those who want to access it. This is scary!!!!
- 5) Bank details and Passwords- If we use only one device to do all our activity then we are at a greater risk (most probably you are bound) to get robbed online. For example you use your Smartphone to get 10,000,000$ from the Nigerian prince and then use the very same device to make payments online, be prepared to wake up one day with your banks accounts empty or big fat Credit card bill.
Such revelations by the expert are quite nerve wrecking but with adequate steps taken and having an aware mind you can avoid some unnecessary trouble. The expert also revealed that even experts like them aren’t safe but with proper knowledge you won’t be compromising your identity, money or information. We know you would want to expand you repertoire…… So check again tomorrow for more.